What is a Backup?
For example, if you have a folder of photos stored on the hard-drive of your laptop, you might back them up by copying them to a CD-R.
Why Backup Your Data?
How Are Backups Created?
- Burning files to a CD-R
- Copying files to an external hard-drive
- Copying the files to another computer on a network
- Making copies of data very regularly
- Using large-capacity media such as magnetic tape
- Keeping old copies of backups, just in case
- Automating the system so that nobody forgets to do it!
- Keeping backup media off-site (in case of fire or theft)